Never Do This Exercise... Plus: The 5 WORST Exercise Mistakes That Are Destroying Your Metabolism, Keeping You Flabby, Weak & Injury-Prone by Shin Ohtake, Fitness & Fat Loss Expert, Author of MAX Workouts
|Posted on July 26, 2016 at 10:25 AM|
Surprisingly, not all exercises are good for you. In fact, research has discovered that doing crunches, sit-ups and other ab-targeted exercises will NOT help you get flat, washboard abs.
The problem is when you do conventional ab exercises, your stomach muscles feel sore, which fools you into thinking that you’re working your abs. Yet, after weeks of religiously doing your ab routine, your belly looks just as bloated and soft as it did before. All that time and pain for nothing!
Here’s the TRUTH…
Crunches, sit-ups, side bends (and other common ab exercises) force you to bend and contort your body in unnatural ways. This may come as a surprise, but your abs were NOT designed to crunch, twist, or bend. In fact, it’s the complete opposite!
The real role of your abdominal muscles is to PREVENT your mid-section from crunching, twisting, and bending. That’s right, your abs are a stabilizing force designed to resist movement in order to protect your spine.
So even though you “feel the burn” when you do crunches and sit-ups, you’re actually putting unnecessary pressure on your back, causing more harm than good. These ab exercises can cause lower back injuries by forcing your spine to bend too much, and they do very little to actually help you get a flat, tight stomach.
The key to getting sculpted abs is to burn off that stubborn layer of belly fat that’s hiding them. On the next page, I’ll show you how to quickly burn away the “ab flab” so you can finally carve out those lean, ripped abs.
But first, here are the 5 WORST exercise mistakes you MUST stop making (if you want to crank up your metabolism so you can melt away stubborn body fat and KEEP it off)...
Mistake #1: Doing Long Bouts of Cardio
If you’ve been doing cardio workouts to try and slim down, I have some alarming news…
Steady-state cardio (like jogging or doing the elliptical) increases the production of a stress hormone called cortisol. Cortisol causes weight gain and makes it more difficult to burn off stubborn belly fat.
That’s why no matter how much cardio you do, you can’t seem to raise your metabolism and you always hit a plateau eventually.
Even worse, too much cardio accelerates aging! When you put your body under prolonged stress, you start producing free-radicals, which damages your cells and causes inflammation…and inflammation is what makes you OLD. Yikes!
But, there is a RIGHT way to do cardio. Stick with me because I’m going to reveal what you can do to get insane results in half the time of your regular cardio workout—without causing unnecessary stress on your joints. (Once you learn this simple trick, you’ll kick yourself for not doing it all along!)
Mistake #2: Doing Isolated Exercises
Doing isolated exercises (like bicep curls and tricep extensions) will NOT help you build lean muscle and get toned & fit. When you do these “isolated” exercises, you’re only working one muscle at a time. The problem is that these exercises do very little to increase your metabolism.
Here’s why: In order to boost your metabolism, your heart rate has to be raised to a certain level. But when you’re only working ONE muscle at a time, it’s virtually impossible to recruit enough muscle fibers to increase your heart rate significantly, so you’ll never be able to spike your metabolism or maximize your calorie burn.
If you want to slim down and tone up fast, you need to do exercises that stimulate as many muscles as possible at the same time.
Mistake #3: Using Gym Machines
Those big, shiny machines sure make the gym look high-end, but truthfully, the only thing they’re good for is for sitting down while you tie your shoes or catch your breath!
The problem is this: Machines alter the way your body naturally moves, restricting your range of motion. This severely limits your ability to fully activate all of your muscles fibers, which means less fat burning and less muscle toning.
Worse yet, machines can cause muscular imbalance and excessive strain on your joints, leading to nagging injuries down the road.
If you want fast results, you MUST incorporate exercises that allow your body to move naturally with full range of motion so you can skyrocket your metabolism and put fat-burning on autopilot.
Mistake #4: Repeating The Same Workouts Over & Over
Repeating the same workout routine over and over is a surefire way to STOP getting results. We’re creatures of habit and we tend to stick to things we’re familiar with and good at. But when it comes to working out, if you want to make progress and keep seeing changes in your body, you’ve got to start switching things up.
You see, your body has an amazingly ability to adapt quickly and when it does, that’s when you hit the dreaded plateau and you STOP making progress.
Mistake #5: Doing Loooong Workouts
Longer workouts do NOT equal better or faster results. If you’ve been slaving away at the gym and your body isn’t visibly changing, you can’t do more of the same thing and expect a different result.
When it comes to getting lean and fit, your body responds to quality over quantity. I’m going to tell you the #1 way to super-charge your workouts—this simple, yet overlooked method is the single fastest way to getting lean and ripped while cutting your workout time almost in half. This technique will open up a can of whoop-ass on your workout!
How To “Fix” Your Metabolism
Alright, now that you know what NOT to do, here’s the good news…
Science has proven that there are specific types of exercises that trigger a potent fat-burning effect, which skyrockets your metabolism and boosts your fat-burn for up to 48 hours after your workout is over.
These exercises activate more of your muscle fibers, which creates a bigger metabolic boost, demanding more fat to be burned for fuel—so you can burn off the fat and KEEP it off.
There’s even more good news…
These exercises also stimulate your youth-enhancing hormones so you can slough away old, dead cells — making you look and feel years younger!
Listen: getting a lean, defined body with a rock-solid core is easy once you know HOW to trigger the right hormones in your body (and stop the production of the bad hormones that are making you fat and old).
Learn more from the author by Shin Ohtake, Fitness & Fat Loss Expert, Author of MAX Workouts
The 5 Best Most Effective Abdominal Exercises
1) Hanging Leg-Raises: A strenuous exercise, the hanging leg raise is a product of true gymnasts. All you need is a chin-up bar or equivalent setup. Grab the bar with an overhand grip about shoulder width apart, and while bending your knees raise your hips and curl your back as you bring your thighs to your chest. Lower slowly, and repeat.
2) Fat-Bar Holds: Again with a chin-up bar or equivalent, hold onto the bar with an overhand grip and hang with your arms and body completely straight. Hang for as long as possible until you can't hold on any longer, then rest for a minute and repeat. Remember you want to improve your strength, so aim to hang for a longer amount of time during each rep.
3) Overhead Reverse Lunge: All you need for this exercise is a light barbell or long wooden pole or equivalent. Hold the bar high above your head with arms straight, and step backward with one leg and slowly lower your body until your knee is bent at a right angle. Do multiple sets of 15-20 reps with rests in between.
4) Leg Raises: While lying on your back extend your legs and raise them off the floor to the highest degree while keeps your knees only slightly bent. Slowly bring your legs back down towards the ground, at about 6 inches from the ground, curl your legs towards your chest. Repeat 15-20 times.
5) Planks: While in push-up position, bring your arms in close to your chest, elbows tucked in and fists up near your face. Raise your body up off the ground and maintain a straight "plank-like" posture for 60 seconds. Only your toes and forearms should be touching the ground. After each rep, switch positions. Flip over and have your back towards the ground and chest pointing skyward, again only your feet and forearms should be touching. Keep your back straight and hold position for 60 seconds.